In the early years, the congregation's members met in various homes of the Dutch Settlement neighborhood, a site about a mile north of the present day hamlet of Clay. Many early settlers of this region had migrated to the wilderness of upstate from the Hudson River area.
The congregation was incorporated in 1833 and began worshipping in the newly erected building on VerPlank Road. The original name, Immanuel's Lutheran Church of the Town of Clay, later was made legal as Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church of Clay, New York.
The building on VerPlank Road was maintained until 1915 when it was taken down. A new church was then built on the present site along Route 31. During the interim, services were held in a social room of the Weller building next to the railroad tracks. In addition to housing Lambert and Mary Weller, this building was home to a grocery store and the local post office.
The present church building was dedicated in 1916; news stories recount that 200 people crammed into the new building while as many more were gathered outside. In the 1960s, the youngest Weller daughter, Cora, gave the above-mentioned Weller structure and its land to the church. Shortly afterwards, this building was razed to make room for a large parking lot.
Meanwhile, the congregation was making plans for better facilities to house the Sunday Church School. In 1968 ground was broken for the new wing. In time, this addition would be named the Kisselburgh Education Building in honor of Pastor John Kisselburgh, whose faithful service to the congregation of Immanuel exceeded four decades.
Today the Kisselburgh Building, still called the new wing by some, is an invaluable resource that houses not only our Sunday School, but also many community meetings and activities. It is used every day of the week.
Over the years, Immanuel's congregation has expanded and, at times, it has waned. It has known years when it couldn't support a full-time pastor and now, for many years, it has been able to maintain a permanent pastor. Through hard times and abundance, Immanuel has survived. With lay people inspired by God's Word, the congregation will continue to serve here in the northern part of Onondaga County for many years to come. Today, Immanuel boasts an active women's group (W.E.L.C.A.), a growing Sunday Church School, youth groups, a food pantry, weekly Bible study, Confirmation classes, and an enthusiastic choir.